ANANDAMIDES: KEY TO HAPPINESS
Updated: Jan 7
Happiness is the core of joyfulness, but we don’t realize our happy moments and remain unhappy for one reason or the other. Life can be full of love, compassion, passion or stress, anxiety and depression, the choice is all ours. We all want to be happy and keep seeking happiness in gadgets, physical comforts, luxuries, partners, family, friends, surrounding, etc.
WHAT IS THE KEY TO HAPPINESS?
Have you ever realized, just a mere thought of someone, tasty food, going to a party, meeting a friend, having chocolate, favorite food, getting loved makes us happy. It means our physical world, gadgets, technology, luxurious house has nothing to do with happiness.
WHAT IS HAPPINESS?
Happiness is the absence of stress, anxiety, depression, or failure. We all have learned many times that happiness is deep inside us and we can get it through meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, pranayama, etc.
Have you ever realized, how these few minutes of meditation, yoga can release your stress and make you happy? There is a science, a chemical behind it, anandamides, that participate in the endocannabinoid system by binding to cannabinoid receptors. The word itself is self-explanatory. Anandamide has a suffix taken from Sanskrit's word ‘Ananda’, meaning blissfulness, the ecstasy. Anandamides are produced in our bodies to make us feel blissful. A blissful person is away from any kind of stress, anger, hatred, jealousy, envy, etc.
As a child is always blissful, happy for no reason, his laughter is full of immense joy, but as we grow up we have thousands of reasons to be unhappy, it may be due to jealousy, envy, or possessions. So when we are selfish and nasty we are unhappy while happiness is a will to do something, being flexible, being unselfish, sensible, generous.
HOW DO ANANDAMIDES HELP US?
Anandamides play an important role in memory, appetite, sleep, and pain and are present in the brain, spleen, lungs, kidneys, and reproductive system. Anandamides can help us fight depression, migraines, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, Irritable bowel Syndrome and Parkinson’s disease, and even cancer.
MENTAL HEALTH BENEFITS OF ANANDAMIDES
· Lack of anandamides can drain your happiness
· Increase fear and anxiety
· Decrease ability to cope with stress
ANANDAMIDE, MARIJUANA & MEMORY
Anandamides have marijuana-like effects and have a very good natural pain management effect. It has a strong impact on brain inflammation and Alzheimer’s disease. It can protect the brain from stroke and neuroinflammation and memory improvement. Being protective towards children and giving them extra love and security, makes children attempt better in academics and other fields.
PRECURSORS OF ANADAMIDES
Anandamides are curated from Arachidonic acid, an essential polyunsaturated acid, found in meats, fish, kinds of seafood, eggs, and olive oil.
HOW ANANDAMIDES CAN BE BOOSTED
FOOD AND ANANDAMIDES
· Dark Chocolates- Chocolates help to produce more anandamides, slow down its degradation, and boost your mood.
· Black truffle- A mushroom, is also responsible for boosting the production of Anandamides. Dark chocolate-covered desserts are also called truffles, due to their role in producing anandamides.
· Good Fats- Omega 3, fish oils help to relax and stay happy, also boost the production of anandamides.
· Organic food- Food free from pesticides, preservatives, chemicals, plastics, seaweeds helps in preventing the destruction of the endocannabinoid system.
· Black pepper- By producing Kaemferol, inhibits the breakdown of anandamides and increases its production.
· Fruits- Many fruits like apples, blackberries, grapes, peaches, and raspberries help in the production of the chemical.
· Vegetables- Increased intake of cucumbers, green beans, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, fresh organic vegetables helps in producing happiness.
LOVE AND CARE
The researches provide a connection between “love hormone”, oxytocin and “Bliss molecule”, anandamides. We can increase the level of oxytocin and in turn anandamides by physical touch, hugs, cuddles, massage, stroking a pet, yoga, meditation, singing, listening to music, social interactions, and lovemaking.
Getting engrossed in the activity,
that brings us closer to our comfort zone,
which fades away our time,
is an activity that produces anandamides in our brain. Find out a health activity, any hobby to put yourself in that zone to get flooded with anandamides.
Physical activities like cycling, Zumba, dancing, gyming, running, aerobics, etc. not only increase the anandamides in the body but also acts as a pain killer for them.
So producing anandamide is that easy, and we can see happiness is deep inside us. Staying away from negative thoughts, toxic people, and working hard to achieve your set goals of life will keep your brain brimmed with anandamide. So, what are you waiting for? Do you really need someone else to make you happy? :)